What is a Temperature Forcing System?
A temperature forcing system, also referred to as a thermal air conditioner, is used to test items with temperature changes to super-fast ramp rates and temperature cycling. The device can determine an item's resistance to heat & cold by setting a precise thermal environment that can quickly change within seconds.
How does a Temperature Forcing System Work?
A Temperature Forcing System works by using a direct temperature-controlled stream of hot or cold air to provide a precise thermal environment for temperature testing, conditioning and cycling of electronic and non-electronic assemblies and sub-systems.
They provide a heating, cooling and temperature-controlled atmosphere to a separate test chamber or testing platform and can change the temperature quickly, often within seconds, with temperatures ranging from -100 ° C to + 300 ° C.
Temperature forcing systems may feature wheels for mobility, ultra-quiet operation, rapid temperature cycling rates, maintenance-free systems, or touch screen displays. Compact, portable benchtop models may also be available and specifications include remote interface ports, minimum and maximum temperature readings, transition rate, DB rating, system indicators, and fail-safes.
What are its Applications?
Temperature forcing systems are used in electronic and non-electronic assemblies and sub-systems. They are ideal for a range of applications including:
- The study of rapid failure analysis
- Thermal shock
- Functional testing
- Simulation testing
- Accelerated life testing
- Cyclic temperature
- Environmental test screening
- Material fatigue
Temperature Forcing Systems in Semiconductor Manufacturing
In semiconductor manufacturing, engineers design integrated circuit (IC) devices with temperature in mind. Semiconductor device fabrication is the process used to manufacture semiconductor devices, typically the metal – oxide – semiconductor (MOS) devices used in the integrated circuit (IC) chips that are present in everyday electrical and electronic devices. It is a multiple-step sequence of photolithographic and chemical processing steps during which electronic circuits are gradually created on a wafer made of pure semiconducting material.
Temperature forcing systems are used in the semiconductor manufacturing process from product development in the product engineering labs to final assembly and test on the production floor. As an integral part of the qualification and characterisation process, engineers verify that the sensor or IC is operational at different environmental conditions such as extreme temperatures. The test stages of engineering and production include burn-in, electronic, hot and cold testing at specific temperatures, and other environmental test simulations to meet specifications within industries such as the automotive and airspace sectors. This is because, once put in real world applications, these semiconductor devices are often exposed to extreme environmental conditions.
Discover the Dragon
The Dragon is Froilabo’s state-of-the-art temperature forcing system, designed and developed for thermal tests requiring extreme temperatures and fast and accurate results. It is a versatile air conditioning system in its standard version and can be customised on request to suit individual requirements.
This versatile and stable air generator is perfect for applications such as heating electronic components and printed circuits, performing climatic simulations, electronic characterisations and targeted freezing.
- Dry airflow from -75°C to + 250°C as standard
- Adjustable air flow rate of 2.2 to 8.4 L/s (8 to 30 Nm3/h)
- 4 axis steerable motorized arm
- Very rapid temperature setting: rise and fall in rapid temperature from -55°C to + 125°C in 7 seconds and from + 125°C to -55°C in 14 seconds
- Controlled ramp from 0.03°C/s to 15°C/s
- Very high thermal stability ≤0.5°C
- Possible use 24h/24, 7d/7
- Easy to use with the touch screen
- Anti-condensation system
- Mobile device equipped with 4 wheels with brake and 2 guide handles to facilitate movement
The Dragon’s large touch screen with HMI allows easy and intuitive use, allowing access to the 3 working modes: manual, automatic or programmable, to consult and modify the 23 programmable temperature cycles (48 steps each).
The Dragon is also compliant with European Low Voltage and CE standards and is equipped with numerous safety features:
- General disconnector in padlockable front - Electronic thermostat independent of control loop
- Touch screen with 3 levels of code access
- Minimum / maximum temperature thresholds component and air parameters
- Safety temperature set at the factory at + 20 ° C activated automatically when the system is on standby (arm up)
- Automatic switchover to regulation on the air thermocouple in case of component thermocouple fault
- Real-time diagnostic menu with permanent control of the Dragon's operation (refrigerant system pressure sensors, air flow and air thermocouple operation)
If you have enjoyed learning about Froilabo's Dragon Temperature Forcing System and would like to find out more, please do not hesitate to get in touch with a member of our team today.
We look forward to assisting with all your temperature-testing requirements.
To be the first to hear about future products and research from Froilabo, why not take a moment to join us on social media?