What is an Ultra-Low Temperature Freezer?
Ultra-Low Temperature Freezers are a type of laboratory freezer that operates at very low temperatures. Ultra-Low Temperature Freezers available from Froilabo have a temperature range of -45°C to -86°C and can be used for the storage of drugs, enzymes, chemicals, bacteria and other samples.
Low Temperature Freezers are available in various designs and sizes depending on how much storage is needed. There are generally two versions, an upright freezer or a chest freezer with access from the upper part. An upright ULT Freezer gives easy access for frequent use and a chest Ultra-Low Freezer allows for long-term storage of less frequently used items. The most common type is the upright freezer as laboratories are frequently looking to save space and make layouts more accessible.
An Ultra-Low Temperature Freezer’s internal storage volume can generally start from an internal capacity of 200 litres up to a maximum capacity of 800 litres. It typically has shelves on the inside where research samples are placed and each shelf is closed by an internal door in order to maintain the temperature as uniform as possible.
Ultra-Low Freezer Features
- Sample security
- Robust construction
- East tank cleaning
- Ergonomic smart handle
- Reduction of frost formation heated pressure release valve
- Cascade refrigeration system
- Visual and audible alarms
- Quick temperature pull down
- Temperature homogeneity
- Rapid recovery of the set temperature
- Cascade compressors
- F-gas conformity
- Clear, simple, and user-friendly interface
How do Ultra-Low Freezers Work?
An Ultra-Low Temperature Freezer can be a single high-power compressor hermetically sealed or two cascade compressors. The two cascade solution, is two refrigeration circuits connected so that the evaporator of one cools the condenser of the other, facilitating the condensation of the compressed gas in the first circuit.
Air-cooled condensers are generally used in laboratory ULT freezer systems. They consist of tubular batteries (copper or copper-aluminium) arranged to provide as much surface heat transfer as possible. The circulation of the cooling air is forced by an engine driven fan and the expansion of the refrigerant fluids is obtained by capillary tubes.
Evaporation takes place through steel plate heat exchangers, located inside the chamber, or by a coil. The coil in the cabinet eliminates the efficiency issue in the heat exchange of freezers with the coil in the insulation cavity.
Read this article ‘how to reach a temperature of -80°C’ to find out more about exactly how Froilabo’s -80°C ULT freezers work, including the role of refrigerants and the cooling unit.
What are Ultra-Low Temperature Freezers Used for?
Ultra-Low Temperature Freezers are used for a wide range of applications…
- Biological and biotech storage in research universities, medical centres and hospitals, blood banks, forensic labs and more.
- To store biological samples including DNA/RNA, plant and insect samples, autopsy materials, blood, plasma and tissues, chemicals drugs and antibiotics.
- To determine the ability of products and machinery to perform reliably under severe low temperature conditions, such as those found in the artic regions.
- Textile preservation
- Bacteria preservation
Ultra-Low Temperature Freezers from Froilabo
At Froilabo, we offer a wide range Ultra-Low Temperature Freezers, reaching -86°C and guaranteeing maximum protection of samples in all circumstances. Our freezers have capacities ranging from 175 litres up to 1,000 litres.
- The Trust: ideal for long-term sample storage. The proposed volumes range from 340 to 690L.
- The Evolution: offers many innovative solutions to ensure the safety of your samples and simplify your life. The proposed volumes range from 340 to 690L.
- The BM/BMT ranges: available in 2 volumes: 175L and 1000L. The unique design of these devices delivers unparalleled reliability and performance. Available with standard controller (BM) and touch screen (BMT).
- The BMH range: horizontal freezers designed on the same basis as the BM range and available in 3 volumes.
Why Choose Froilabo’s Ultra-Low Freezer?
There are many reasons to choose a Froilabo Ultra-Low Temperature Freezer, mainly that they protect the sample, the user, and the environment.
- Manufactured and approved according to EN60068-3-11, the only standard in force in Europe.
- Comply with the new F-Gas regulations (EU No. 517/2014).
- Have a fast recovery time and quickly return to the desired temperatures in instances such as if someone has the door open.
- Offer peace of mind with security back-ups and alarms.
Find out More
To find out more about the Ultra-Low Freezer range from Froilabo including ULT freezer price, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of our team today.
Alternatively, to be the first to hear about future products, news and research from Froilabo, why not take a moment to join us on social media?